Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hummingbird Poop All Over Everything!!!

This morning as I sat on the front porch watching, perhaps, a thousand hummingbirds feed at the 5 feeders on my porch, I was made aware of a problem, the accumulation of hummingbird poop.

My house is on the last point of land in this area from which the hummingbirds can take off on their fall journey to Mexico. They feed here by the thousands. Last year, during the 45 day season of their migration, I estimated that about 50,000 hummingbirds came through and fed at my house. 50 birds at each of five feeders, all day long. We used 50 gallons of syrup. Next year instead of using quart bottles to feed them and having to refill twice a day, I will put up a 55 gallon barrel, painted red. Then I wont have to refill it all the time.

But back to the point. As I sat there I glanced to an area between the trees where they roost and my porch. This area is an 8 foot opening in the trees and in the morning the sunlight shines through the area such that it glints off of anything in the air there. I noticed, what appeared to be, several rain drops falling. It wasn't rain, it was hummingbird poop. As I watched I realized that at about 3 second intervals I would see this phenomenon. I then realized that the area under their flight path was getting pummeled with poop.

I immediately covered my coffee cup with my hand!!!

While I watched, my cat came out onto the porch and began pacing up and down under the feeders. The hummingbirds would move away from the area where she was and then close in behind her. Just staying out of reach.

Apparently, coffee seasoned with hummingbird poop has a mind stimulating effect on me. I began to think of politics and realized that there was a simile here. The hummingbirds are like politicians that flit around here and there, trying to get something for nothing. Everywhere they go they leave a layer of poop on everything. The poop accumulates, and accumulates, like the regulations and laws that continue to confuse our body of law making jobs for lawyers....and no one else... Someone needs to clean up the hummingbird poop and quit worrying about all the stimulus, tax reductions, and jobs bills. If the poop was cleaned up the finely tuned machine that the US Constitution created would run smoothly and effortlessly instead of being slowed to a halt by all the crap.

Unfortunately, most efforts at clean up are like the cat. The TEA Party is like the cat. As it strolls up and down the politicians move away at arms distance and just try to stay out of reach. Then, as the TEA Party moves on, they return.

Lets have am amendment to the Constitution, a "Sunset rule", like the state of Texas has. Lets clean up all the hummingbird poop in the Federal Law.

"You shall know the truth and the Truth shall set you free."

Jim Isbell
=================================================================
The Free Republic
=================================================================

July 3rd 2010 Speech
April 17th 2010 Speech
Trinity Base - in Defense of our Republic
Ronald Reagan was Right
American Majority
Red State
Blog Mirror of The Free Republic
My Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment