Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Some Conservatives Will Really Hate This!

I thought I was a Conservative. but I am watching what some Conservatives are saying and sometimes I wonder if I am really a Conservative. Maybe I am a Constitutionalist, if that is a real word.

This uproar over the "Mosque at Ground Zero" is ridiculous.

First, its NOT "at Ground Zero." It is two blocks away!

Second, the first amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF". This does not say...."within a two block area of a bombed building". Nor does it say, "within a 6 block area of a bombed out building." It says, "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Are we now going to exempt a 3 block area around Ground Zero from the protection of free speech that is guaranteed by the Constitution? Where will that stop? Next year we will make it within 10 miles of Ground Zero.....then 10 years down the pike, within 3000 miles of Ground Zero. I don't think that we want to go there. Its a slippery slope.

No, I don't think its appropriate. But then I don't think the stoplight down the street is appropriate either. I don't think the expletive that I just spat at a stupid driver this morning was appropriate either. But it definitely was, as this is, within the law and within the Constitution.

The people that are using the phrase "A Mosque at Ground Zero" are stretching the truth and I don't condone that whether done by the Left or the Right.

Jim Isbell
======================================
======================================

No comments:

Post a Comment