Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rats and Cannibalism

Recently we are hearing more and more about strange actions by supposedly crazed people. The recent beating to two gay men for no other reason than that they were gay. The ferocity of the attacks was animal like. Humans are supposed to be better than animals because they can think and make moral decisions. But more and more we are seeing people make decisions that can only be described as primal, without conscience.

A while back I was turning left and the person behind me, for some reason, felt that my slowing down was inconveniencing him. After turning the corner I pulled to the side to park. The irritated person followed me and got out of his car in a furry. He walked up to my car and kicked the rear fender so hard he actually dented it. As I drove away to avoid further confrontation I saw him in the rear view mirror hopping on one foot and holding his other foot that he apparently injured in the attack on my car.

Why are we seeing these aberrations of human conduct? Is the human race degenerating? Are we reversing the normal upward trend of evolution? Are we getting away from morals because we are getting away from God?

I think that the answer is probably none of the above. While I think that a reverence for God can help toward making moral decisions, and while I think my God will give me eternal life. I realize that there are other paths to moral decision making. There are beliefs in other gods than mine, which, while I believe they wont ensure eternal life, I accept that they also espouse moral lifestyles. So I don't think it is a move away from God that is causing the primitive behavior.

Many years ago a study was done with rats. The experiment was to study the effects of crowding on animals. They found that putting too many rats in a cage, even when they had adequate food for all, caused them to turn to cannibalism...apparently to cut down on the crowding.

Maybe we have too many people on this planet. Maybe we should once again explore space to find other habitable worlds, so we can spread this madness throughout the universe.

Jim Isbell
====================================================
====================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment